Sunday, November 27, 2011

Discharge Today?

I just ate a bagel. Holy sh&t. After 11 days of NPO (no food or water). And so far it's staying down. The past eleven days have had their ups and downs (mostly downs, unfortunately), but things are FINALLY looking up and I am really hoping to be out of the hospital today. Thank god the piece of bowel that they may have needed to re-operate on seems to have revived itself. Awesome. I am keeping food down. Awesome. My spirits are up. Awesome. I ate. F(*^&g really awesome.

My reintroduction to liquids went poorly, I have a urinary infection and have been having some super serious dehydration issues because of my lack of large intestine (your large intestine absorbs water for your body, so when it is missing hydration can be very tricky). I have spent most of the past eleven days with an NG tube, no food, no water, not able to move much at all, and only being able to speak minimally. Today, I am up and about, rapping in my chair (yes, rapping like Biggie Smalls) ha!, and feeling really optimistic about my prognosis.

Because I had this obstruction and because they had to open me up again, I am more prone to this happening again in the future. There is nothing I can do to prevent it. This means, of course, that I will worry. But it also means that I am going to hold onto every moment I have more preciously. Every time I get to gorge myself with brie cheese, swim in the ocean, walk home from work, or be at home with my dog and my husband will be cherished. I truly believe that only people that have had serious struggles with their health are able to obtain this kind of gratefulness for life, and for that I feel very lucky.

Now, let's hope for a good night's sleep in my own bed tonight and then back to work at healing another incision and rebuilding my sense of security. Because, hey, who knows when the Rapture is really coming, so it seems illogical to worry. But this whole thing sure did come as a shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment