Sunday, June 22, 2014

IBD AND SOCIAL ISOLATION: WHAT'S IN YOUR BAG OF TRICKS?

Dress for Mike & Kim's wedding 
Ho hum. Just over 24 hours pre-op and checking out the dress that I had ordered for my very dear friends' wedding that hubbie and I were supposed to attend last night. Hubbie finally pulled the duct tape out after 36 hours of hearing me obsessively rant, "we should have been there. We should have been there. We should have been there."

I think that, perhaps, the combination of being a stay-at-home mom with a limited social life and living with chronic illness makes missing events such as these even more piercingly regrettable. Not to mention the guilt of being a no-show.


For all my IBD friends, or my readers living with chronic disease: what coping strategies do you have in your pocket for dealing with repeated social isolation and unexpected disappointments? I feel like my bag of tricks is almost empty, and I could use a few more.


Some creamy gelato in my belly is about all I've got for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment