Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back in the Hospital : (

So my fever got worse last night and Dr. Procaccino told me to go directly to the ER. They did another CT Scan and an X-Ray and determined that I have an intra-abdominal abscess. I had a really rough night with pain, high fevers, and violent diarrhea and nonstop vomiting. Then around 5:30 this morning that all stopped and I am beginning to feel much better. Dr. Procaccino came in and tried to drain the abscess himself (pleasant, let me tell you!), but he was unsuccessful. We are just awaiting some second and third opinions on the CT Scan to see if I need to go in to Interventional Radiology to have the abscess drained. For now, I am on high doses of Vancomycin and some other antibiotic and I think they are working because my fever is down and I am feeling much, much better.

Dr. Procaccino thinks there is a chance that the abscess spontaneously burst overnight and the antibiotics might be clearing the infection, but he mentioned possibly doing another CT Scan this morning to confirm, which I am very much against. So, I guess once again we are just playing the waiting game here. Very happy that I don't feel like hell anymore so things are looking up once again. Looks like I'll be here until at least tomorrow, but let's hope this is my last hospitalization for a long, long, long time!!

2 comments:

  1. Katie,

    This blog is an incredible achievement. You write with an honesty and clarity that can only be admired. The UC community is lucky to have you as an advocate. Hope you feel better soon and good luck with the new J pouch. Colons are over-rated in my experience.
    ~Gabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabe,

    Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad you enjoy the blog..it's comments like yours that keep me going! :)

    And I couldn't agree more…who needs a colon anyway?

    ReplyDelete