Friday, June 10, 2011

Busy Bee and Surgery

This week was full of doctor's appointments, but I received nothing but good news from all. After Tuesday's CT Scan, my vascular surgeon called to say the blood clots were cleared. Upon meeting with my GI doctor on Thursday, I was told that the clots cleared in the most optimal way; they were dissolved rather than recanalized. Dr. Eskreis (my GI doc) always scribbles little instructions on a pad when I leave his office. At the end of yesterday's note he wrote, "See you in the hospital!" Of course, receiving this great news about the blood clots meant that my surgery would happen on time and I was able to schedule that surgery today while meeting with my colorectal surgeon, good ole' Dr. Procaccino. The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am on Thursday, June 23rd. The next two weeks will be full of more doctor's appointments and procedures to prepare for the surgery, but as long as those all go well (which I of course expect them to!), I will be all set to eagerly enter the O.R. in just under two week's time.

I told Dr. Procaccino this morning of a horribly embarassing dream I had last night and explained that it was a good thing my surgery was going to happen on time. I dreamt that I was on the beach in a bikini and looked down to see my ostomy bag. Apparently I had forgotten about this apparatus attached to my abdomen and was caught on the beach with no cover and all to see! After hearing my story and doubling over in laughter, he sarcastically asked if I wanted this second surgery. I replied, "Dr. Procaccino, it's time."

Dr. Procaccino has maintained a great sense of humor throughout this process and the power of laughter is not to be underestimated. This morning he had to perform a short (but painful) procedure and I was a bit nervous so right before he started I asked, "Is this going to be unpleasant?" He jestfully responded, "If it is pleasant, I am going to think there is something wrong with you." My chuckle at his response lasted just long enough to divert my anxiety.

It has been almost three months since my first surgery and I am really starting to feel incredibly healthy and energetic, so the fact that I have to go back to the O.R. and start over again is a little disconcerting. However, I am EXTREMELY excited to be done with the ileostomy. That said, it has treated me well and if it had been permanent I would have preferred it far and away to the terrible alternative of living with U.C. I feel very fortunate that I will be able to live with a J-Pouch, but if for some reason the J-Pouch doesn't work out, I now know I can live a very happy and fulfilling life with an ileostomy.

Please stay tuned for the launch of our August 14 CCFA concert event! Tickets will be available through the Music Hall of Williamsburg website which uses Ticketmaster. We hope to have this open on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Finally got a chance to catch up on your blog, as always, YOU are an amazing inspiration to all of your family. So happy to hear your take-down surgery is in place and the concert date is set.
    Looking forward to August 14th and rocking with you & your enormous courage!!!
    Love,
    Aunt Nancy xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Aunt Nancy!! And all my family is an inspiration to me, you have all been amazingly supportive and I couldn't have gone through this without you all!

    Can't wait for the concert, going to be a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete